3rd Quarterly Screening Series
The Fifth Annual Florida Surf Film Festival, presented by Monster Energy, is happy to announce official selections Under an Arctic Sky, a new film by Chris Burkard, with Director of Photography, Ben Weiland in attendance, and the Florida premiere on the big screen of Surfers’ Blood, a new feature documentary by Patrick Trefz (attending), starring Kepa Acero, Thomas Meyerhoffer and Flea Virostko for our third quarterly screening series for the 2017 festival year with doors opening at 6PM, movies starting at 7PM on the following dates:
- August 17th – Surfside Playhouse, Cocoa Beach – Buy Tickets
- August 18th – Atlantic Center for the Arts, New Smyrna Beach – Buy Tickets
- August 19th – The Abbey, Orlando – Buy Tickets
Matt Warshaw, Author and Historian – Encyclopedia of Surfing, History of Surfing, and Above the Roar, will be hosting a cocktail hour before each of these events to discuss this archival marathon that he’s been on since his days as an editor at SURFER. Your cocktail hour is included with your ticket. Get there early!
- Journey to the End of the Night (Patrick Trefz, Run Time 4 min.)
- Surfers’ Blood (Patrick Trefz, Run Time 56 min.)
- Vacation Island (Morgan Maassen, Run Time 5 min.)
- Broken Dreams (Gabriel Novis, Run Time 7 min.)
- Under an Arctic Sky (Chris Burkard, Run Time 40 min.)
Here’s a trailer for Surfers’ Blood:
Surfers’ Blood tells the universal story of true individuals that share deep bloodlines connected to the sea. From the old world fishing history of the rugged Basque Coast via oar and surfboard shaper Patxi Oliden, to the modern metropolis of San Francisco and the eccentric computer shapes of Apple fame designer Thomas Meyerhoffer. A Sonoma Valley Art Museum that exhibits hydrodynamic surfboards via avant-garde curator Richard Kenvin, to 3 time Mavericks big wave champ Darryl ‘Flea’ Virostko’s struggle to overcome an almost fatal meth addiction and the bittersweet loss that came with it.